Upholstered in faded red leather with molded oak back enclosed by out-swept arms carved with sprigs of pine and cones, raised on turned fluted legs terminating in gilt-brass caps and ceramic castors. Circa 1860
This sofa is of a type of hybrid furniture developed to furnish railway stations from 1850 onwards. The inspiration falls into two broad categories, those derived from inn furniture and those inspired by country house. In the former context a bench or settle would have provided seating for Third Class passengers, whereas this example is more refined and comfortable.
Provenance: By Repute this sofa was made and housed in The Royal Waiting Room at Ballater Station, Scotland, the local station to Balmoral Castle. The sofa is believed to have been given to Major Irvine of Drum Castle and Chairman of GNR when the line closed in the 1960s and was bought as part of Major Irvine’s estate.