A large modular Beaubourg shelving unit comprised of six uprights and approximately 23 shelves. This piece was designed by Michel Cadestin & Georges Laurent. The model was supplied to the library of the George Pompidou (Beaubourg)centre in Paris, circa 1976.
(The Beaubourg shelving can be configured as required, one, two or three individual units)
The Georges Pompidou National Center of Art and Culture opened its doors on January 31, 1977. At the time, a jury chaired by Jean Prouvé chose the architects Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers for the realization of the whole project. A large part of the furniture including this Beaubourg shelving was specially designed at Strafor by the designers Michel Cadestin and Georges Laurent, who worked under the direct responsibility of the architect Renzo Piano.
This unique fantasy hanging light, supplied by Veronese Paris in the 1950s was designed and hand crafted by Angello Seguso, expertly made in iridescent crystal enhanced with gold inclusions.
The hull of the boat is comprised of 18 individual leaves or feathers secured together by a metal armature. The mastehead of the boat is an exquisite rendering of the lion of Saint Mark in Murano glass with gold inclusions.
A very rare piece at this size, signed to the inside of the glass “Veronese Seguso Murano”
Formerly in the collection of the French actor Serge Merlin who gained notoriety for his role in the film Amélie
Murano Italy circa 1950
The light was published in the French publication Mobilier Décoration in its 34th year, Issue number 2 – 1954
Venetian tradition states that when Mark the Evangelist was traveling through Europe, he arrived at a lagoon in Venice, whereby an angel appeared to him and said, “Pax tibi Marce, evangelista meus. Hic requiescet corpus tuum.” (“Peace be with thee, O Mark, my evangelist. Here thy body will rest.”) This tradition was used as justification by Rustico da Torcello and Bon da Malamocco in 828 for stealing the remains of Mark from his grave in Alexandria, and moving them to Venice, where they were eventually interred in the Basilica of St. Mark.