ceramic plaque by Gilbert Valentin
Early large ceramic plaque of a still life by Gilbert Valentin
Wrought iron support attributed to Valentin’s father
Poterie les Archanges, Vallauris
Born in Nancy 1928 – 2001
In 1950 he opened a studio with his wife Lilette in Vallauris called Les Archanges. He exhibited extensively and contributed to the 1950s trend of biomorphic pieces. His work is often decorated with bold abstract designs of glossy colour. He later produced figurative plaques and tiles. His work is usually signed and marked with the studio name and mark – a pot with wings and a halo.