good decorative dome topped trunk by les magasins du Louvre, Paris, France circa 1860
The Grands Magasins du Louvre were founded in 1855 by Alfred Chauchard and Auguste Hériot during the Second Empire. The shop was opened on the ground floor of a building built by the Pereire brothers in 1852, on the Place du Palais Royal, at the request of Baron Haussmann, prefect of the Seine. In 1875, the store was enlarged by acquiring the entire building occupied by the Hotel du Louvre, which was transferred to the other side of the Place du Palais-Royal.
The Grands Magasins du Louvre department store had fifty-two departments and counters available to customers. It closed its doors in 1974, the building now houses the Louvre des Antiquaires as well as offices.
Antiques - Cabinet furniture, desks etc. - featured - Furniture